NHAI achieves highest ever construction on NHs in FY 2019-20
source-constrcution weekly ,May 2020 addtition
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has accomplished the construction of 3,979 km of National Highways in FY2019-20. This is the highest ever highway construction achieved in a financial year by the authority since its inception in 1995, according to a release from NHAI. The construction pace, as noticed in past years, has seen steady growth with 3,380 km
constructed in FY2018-19. The government has envisaged an ambitious highway development programme, the Bharatmala Pariyojana, which includes the development of about 65,000 km of National Highways. Under Phase-1, the government has approved the implementation of 34,800 km of National Highways at a stiff target of five years with an outlay of `5,350 billion. NHAI has been mandated the development of about 27,500 km of National Highways under Bharatmala Pariyojna Phase-1. To accelerate the pace of construction, a large number of initiatives have been taken to revive stalled projects and expedite the completion of new ones, says the NHAI release. These include:
• Streamlining of land acquisition and acquisition of major portion of land prior to invitation of bids. • Award of projects after adequate project preparation in terms of land acquisition, clearances, etc. • Disposal of cases with respect to change of scope (CoS) and extension of time (EoT) in a timebound manner.
• Procedure for approval of general arrangement drawing for ROBs simplified and made online.
• Close coordination with other ministries and state governments.
• One-time fund infusion.
• Regular review at various levels and identification or removal of bottlenecks in project execution.
• Proposed exit for equity investors.
• Securitisation of road sector loans.
• Revamp of dispute resolution mechanism to avoid delays in completion of projects. With the increased pace of highway development, NHAI is committed to provide a smooth ride on national highways in the country, the release affirmed.